Arjuna (Terminalia Arjuna)
Family Name: Combretaceae
Botanical Name: Terminalia Arjuna
English Name: White Marudah
Hindi Name: Arjuna
Other Names: Terminalia Arjuna, Pentaptera Glabra, Pentaptera Angustifolia, Arjuna Myrobalan, Arjun, Arjuna.
Rasa (Taste): Astringent, Bitter
Virya (Action): Cooling
Vipaka (Post Digestive Effect): Pungent
Guna (Quality): Light Dry
Dosha Effect: Tridoshaic
- High BP
- Cardiac weakness
- High cholesterol
- For dilatation of small vessels
- Chronic bronchitis
- Poly urea
- Diabetes and albumin urea
In Ayurveda Hriday Rog (Heart Problems) are categorized based on vitiated doshas (Three humors alleviator - Vata (Air), Pitta (Fire) and Kapha (Water)), and other causes.
- Vata (Air) type Heart Problem: When the Pain is acute and shifting in nature.
- Pitta (Fire) type Heart Problem: When the burning sensation is also present with Pain.
- Kapha (Water) type Heart Problem: when there is heaviness in chest, nausea and mild Pain.
In Ayurveda Hardening of arteries is the major underlying mechanism of heart problems.
Chemical Composition: Arjuna is rich in Saponins, Natural, Anti-oxidant, Gallic acid, Ellagic acid, oligomeric Proanthocryanidins, Phytosterols, rich in minerals like Calcium, Magnesium and Zinc and Copper.
Arjuna (Bark) is Heart tonic, that helps maintain a healthy heart and reduces the effects of stress and nervousness. Arjuna promotes effective cardiac functioning and regulates blood pressure. Arjuna improves cardiac muscle function and pumping actions of the heart. It may be useful in angina, coronary artery problem, heart failure, edema, and possibly hyper cholesterolemia and gonorrhea.
Arjuna Powder: The bark of tree contains natural alkaloids which may be useful for natural care of heart problems. Although there are many other herbal remedies for heart but Arjuna is unique in its action. It not only is beneficial for heart problems but also for the metabolic problems which lead to heart weakness and failure.
Arjuna may be considered effective, natural and purely herbal remedy for blocked coronary arteries, high cholesterol. That is why it is known as an important cardio tonic herb in Ayurveda.
- Hypolipidemic Action: Reduce LDL cholesterol levels and helps in recovering HDL components in hyperlipidemia.
- It has salutary effects in case of liver cirrhosis.
- It may be used for red and swollen mouth, tongue and gums. It may stop bleeding and Pus formation in the gums.
- It may be effective in high blood pressure and heart problems, inflammatory conditions of body, dropsy and in fractures of bones.
- It reduces the level of triglycerides and cholesterol and has been reported to enhance the synthesis of LDL protein. It inhibits the oxidation of LDL and accelerates the turn over of LDL cholesterol in liver. This enhances the elimination of cholesterol from the body.
CAD: Coronary artery Problem is a condition where in the coronary arteries, the small blood vessels that supply blood and oxygen to the heart get narrowed due to build up of fatty materials and plaque inside arteries. As the coronary arteries narrow, the flow of blood to the heart gets restricted and finally stops.
In such condition, "Arjuna Powder" acts as a cardiac stimulant and has cooling effect.
In Ayurvedic Indian system "Arjuna Powder" is used in conditions of cardiac failure and dropsy.
It has stimulant effect on the heart and is used as a heart tonic.
How to use Arjuna Powder
- Heart Stimulant: Make a decoction of "Arjuna Powder" with milk. Dose of Arjuna 1-2 gram. Take every morning empty stomach.
- In Fractures: Arjuna Powder helps the bones to regain their strength after fracture. It can be given with honey.
- In Diarrhea and Dysentery: A decoction of the Powder taken in dose of 15-20 gram may relieve in Diarrhea and Dysentery.
- Ache: A mixture of "Arjuna Powder" and honey when applied over the affected area can soothe ache successfully.
- Arjuna Powder helps in controlling anemia, Piles and stomach related problems.
- Its Decoction is also useful in irregular mensural cycles.
- It is useful in removing stones from urinary bladder.
- To get relief from wounds the "Arjuna Powder" should be boiled or soaked in water and this water is used to wash the wounds.
- The Powder of Arjuna is very helpful in cleaning teeth. Rub the powder on teeth with the help of finger. It makes your mouth feel fresh and also stops bleeding from gums.
- Drink Decoction of Arjuna Powder daily. It breaks the stones into pieces and removes them completely.
- The Arjuna Powder inhibits the oxidation of LDL and accelerates the turn over of LDL cholesterol in the liver. This enhances elimination of cholesterol from the body.
Arjuna Tea: It is a purely herbal formulation for heart Problem. The Regular use can get the benefits of it with in first week of its usage. It helps to lower down the cholesterol levels naturally and also gives strength to heart. It is a unique gift of nature for heart problems, high cholesterol and blood pressure. You can add Cinnamomum Zeylanica. The spice known as ‘Dalchini’ which is a native to Indian subcontinent. It also has remarkable cholesterol lowering properties.
Note: Color, Taste, Aroma of the product may change from batch to batch.
**These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any Disease.
Other Uncommon Names of This Herb: Arjuna, Arjun Sadada, Sadura, Sadhaval, Dhanvi, Indradruma, Kakubha, Karvirak, Attumarutu, Erramaddi, Nirmaruta, Maddi, Kahu, White Murda, Arjuna Myrobalan, White Murdh, Orjun, Yerra Maddi, Sadaru, Neermaruthu.